Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Where the sky begins the horizon ends

First, I want to say if you have never read the words to Tom Petty's "All the wrong reasons," I suggest you read them. Of course, most of his songs have something to say about something even if you just think it is a song.

Well, I have written out my giant to do list...the list that contains all the things I want to get done before the baby is born. After writing all this down, we managed to get quite a bit done off the list considering how long it is. Martin managed to get the bathroom tub drain to actually drain. We went to my favorite store, Lowes, and got the parts to replace the kitchen sink drain which was done by a drunkard. It had to be because no one with a brain would have hooked it up the way that it was hooked up. It actually regularly fell off with too much water pressure from the sink above. I had dealt with it for years since I bought the house, but that got fixed this weekend, too. Martin changed the brake pads on my van. The changing of the pads actually went well, but the brake hose bolt broke which necessitated another trip to the auto parts store. Of course, the auto parts guy sold him the wrong washers!! Thank goodness Walmart had some, so he was able to fix my brakes. Of course, now, I can't find my keys, so I still haven't driven it.

My biggest, and hopefully most satisfying, project of the weekend was to build from scratch a door. It is just a simple "barn" door, but it looks pretty cool, and we now have a door between our bedroom and the hallway between the bedrooms. Our house is so old (at least 80 years) and has a really odd design plan. The living room is about half of the orginal structure. The other half is the bedrooms with a bathroom between them. The only way to get to the bathroom is to go through a bedroom. So, my newest crusade now is to convince Martin to let me tear out the old chimney stack and put in a door that would lead directly from the living room to the bathroom without going through a bedroom. This would also allow for us close off the existing doorways from the bedrooms to the "hall," making more wall space in the bedrooms.

I am also hoping he will let me redo the living room soon. This would include tearing out all the sheetrock, replacing the electrical wiring and windows, put in insulation, new sheetrock, plaster and paint. The only shortfall of this plan is that I, just a few months ago, built an entertainment center that I would have to take down, but it wouldn't be that huge of a problem.

Of course, all of that rennovation isn't even on the mega to do list.

You might think I am crazy because I am almost 7 months pregnant. However, I thrive on tearing a wall down. I try not to overdo it while pregnant, but I am almost driven to rennovate. It makes me happy like almost nothing else does. While I was pregnant with Marty, we rennovated our bedroom. A year or so before, I tore out the bathroom and completely redid it with brand new plumbing, electrical, tile, etc.

Anyway, where one project ends, another begins...and I can't wait to do the next one.

No comments: