Friday, February 26, 2010

Restless through and through

Okay, so I won! Renovation has begun on the back room and sort of the kitchen!

It goes like this: We decided to completely remove our back door which was in what is going to be Mara's new room. Then, I point out to Martin that doing that so will mean that everything is going to have to come in the front door of the house! So, the best solution for this problem is, of course, a new back door exactly where I have been dreaming of having a door! So, I now have a brand new back door with a window in it even!

In order to redo the former owner's drunken escapades in plumbing, we decided to completely remove the floor of the back room. Three layers of flooring later, we looked under the house.... WOW! The moron had decided to drain the kitchen sink and dishwasher to the ground!!!!! What a complete moron. That meant we had to put in a new drain and run it to the bathroom to connect with the sewer line.

At this moment, I have all my new plumbing put in, our new TANKLESS water heater hung and plumbed (but no power yet, so no hot water yet!), my new back door, the new drain system that is under where we are currently working, and most of the "cats" put in to reinforce the floor. Today, the plan is to get the rest of the "cats" in, drain the water heater, get all the old cloth wire out, clean up under the house where things have fallen, and work on getting the old siding that is IN THE ROOM down. Tomorrow, Martin's parents are coming down and his mom is going to take the kids to visit their great-grandmother, and his dad is going to help us do some of the more heavy stuff. So, hopefully, by the end of tomorrow, we will have the floor back down, the old water heater out, and the new ceiling reinforcing beams in. Once the new ceiling beams are in, I can run the electrical wire to the new water heater! So, I am very hopeful that by the end of the weekend, I will not stink anymore! Martin and Mara have been going over to my parents' house to get showers every night, but it would be more trouble than it's worth for me to do so, and I don't have to go anywhere anyway.

So, the big goal for the weekend is to get the floor back down, the ceiling beams in, and the water heater running. Anything beyond that is gravy! The biggest problem is that Martin, of course, has to work every day and I am babysitting today and Mara has her bike-a-thon tomorrow morning. So, I can't get started today until Mara gets home from school and can watch the little ones for me. I still have to get her bike out of the shed too and see if it needs air in the tires for tomorrow. So much to do and I only have a few more weeks until Marty's birthday party, and I would really like to have the house back to at least almost normal before then! At least after the floor is back down, we are back to pretty much normal renovation for us. We will just have to install the new electric, insulate, sheetrock, and finishing work (and then move everything in). Oh yeah, and we have to reside the outside of the house back there and re-trim it all. It will all get done eventually. I know it will. I am just restless to get back in there and work on it.

No comments: