Monday, October 20, 2008

I hit cruise control and rubbed my eyes

Yet another line from the Running Down a Dream...

Well, now, exactly 1 week and 1 day after starting the Great Living Room Remodel/Renovation, we are so far into it that I can taste being done. The last wall came down today. I started taking it down almost as soon as my midwife left after my appointment. Martin took the top part of the chimney down last night. He was so brave to get up on the roof and take off the top, and then we worked together to get it out of the attic down to the level of the ceiling. When he got home from work, he busted ass to get the whole thing out of the house. The yard looks like shit, but we are paying Mara to clean the yard up.

Tomorrow, my plan is to get up early, take Mara to school, and then work all day. I have already gotten "permission" from the head coach of the cheerleading team to miss practice tomorrow. On Tuesdays, I don't have to watch my nephew, so I can work from dawn until exhaustion. I want to be able to drywall when Martin gets home from work tomorrow so that on Wednesday, I can tape that wall and get started on all the finishing work. I have tons and tons to plaster, windows to drywall in, corners to bead, tons of electrical finishing work to do, and then tons to paint and trim. It is still a lot of work, but the hardest parts are almost, ALMOST, completely done.

I had my 35 week appointment today with my midwife. She didn't seem to mind what I was doing. She seemed to understand why we were doing it, and said that I was cool. About all she really said was no roofing (I told her that my dad is working on his roof, and I told him I would help if I was allowed, and she said she would have to say something about that if I were to get up on the roof with him), and to be careful on the ladder. She didn't even ask; she just knew I was up on it. She also said she was looking forward to seeing it in 2 weeks when she comes back for my 37 week appointment. I was worried that she would be mad at me for doing this kind of work while this pregnant, but no worries...she was cool with it. Honestly, though, I don't even feel all that pregnant. I mean I am not uncomfortable when I am working. I get the occasional braxton hicks contraction, but other than that, I barely notice. S/he only really moves around when I am laying down or sitting down which on my long work days is rare.

The only problem I am having at all with this pregnancy is that my carpal tunnel problem has come back all of a sudden. I think it is a combination of my pre-existing history of having problems with it, pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel syndrome, and all the work I have been doing with my hands in the work on the living room. Last night, my hands were constantly numb and tingly. So, I just have to remember to sleep with my splints on. I have already put them on tonight (otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to type this).

On my new job, I am waiting for someone to set up my computer at the office . Once that is done, I can start working for money again. I am kind of hoping it takes as long to get that computer set up and turned on as it takes me to finish the living room.

On the family note, Marty is sick. Poor little guy. He is so sad when he is sick. He doesn't want to do anything but sleep.

Anyway, my fingers are starting to get a little tingly, so I guess I should stop writing for a little while.

But, yeah, after 1 week, we have come so far on getting this living room insulated and better for our family. I can't wait for all the dust to be gone. This sheet rock and chimney dust is horrible. I think my lungs are coated with about 6 inches of dust. Talk about a nasty cough...

Anyway...I'm done for now...

No comments: